Monday, February 18, 2013

Random Differences Part 2

-After almost 6 months, I realized I have never seen a smoke detector.

-Nobody wears helmets when they ride bikes.

-While driving through the city, my friends marvel why the police don´t pull over a motorcyclist for not wearing a helmet... I marvel why they don´t pull us over, because we are 11 kids sitting in the bed of a truck.

-My twelve year old cousin can go to the corner and buy beer. I was honestly shocked when I saw him walk through the front door with four liters of beer in his arms.

-My house has mango, lemon, guava, and grapefruit trees.

-There are a ton of stray dogs here. In the US if I saw a dog walking alone down the street, I would take it in and look for its owner. Here, they are just something normal. And honestly, some of them are pretty picky with their food. One night I was eating empanadas with friends and a skinny little dog came over to beg for food, so we gave it a piece of bread. And the dog just stared at it. Guess it never heard of beggars can´t be choosers.

-Wood flooring is almost obsolete. It´s all tiling and linoleum. I actually can´t think of any wood flooring that I have seen here.

-Motorcycles (well, they say motorcycles but they are really just mopeds or something like that) are very common here. It makes sense, because everything is nearby and the roads are flat and there is no snow or ice.

-The voting age is 18 and is more or less obligatory, though at 16 it is optional to vote. 18 is also the drving age, though 16 for motorcycles.

-There is no spicy food. The occasional semi-spicy sausage. But in Formosa at the least, there is very little spicy food.

No comments:

Post a Comment