Wednesday, August 29, 2012

First Day of School!

Today was my first day of school here in Argentina! Of course, I had my stylish white skirt and white polo shirt. I still need to buy white long socks, and I must say that the skirt is by no means in Academy dress code, but it isn't too bad. I arrived around 10:30am and talked to some teachers and classes began at 11:00. In my class there are between 20 and 30 boys, and only one girl besides me. Different from the US, to say the least. I went to school in the car with Maya because she teaches English in the school there. Today I had two classes. First, chemistry. I actually understood a lot of what was going on, because the teacher would read a sentence from the textbook and we all would copy it, so I also have all the notes from class. I could understand the content because I have taken chemistry before, though there were a few things that confused me. Next, math. At first my partner showed me the work they were doing and I didn't recognize anything, but once we started doing the math I understood it really well. Again, a few things confused me but the majority was good. Though I honestly had to ask my classmates to repeat things five times to understand them because they talk so quickly and with so much slang. Two AFS volunteers were at my school and at least one works there, so I know some people there.
In the past few days, I've gone to the ice cream store (which sells ice cream for about 75 cents... which may not be a good thing because I'll go there way too often) and spent some time with the other exchange students. My week already is filling up with all of the mate drinking and adventuring and everything!
Tonight they're supposed to show the exchange students on the local news station and have a segment on our arrival. And they interviewed me when I came and I was so tired that I didn't understand anything... and my Spanish was not at its best. So I'm looking forward to watching that haha.

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see you in your full uniform. Loved the news report.

    ReplyDelete